Natural beauty, UNESCO World Heritage Sites and culture in abundance; these are just a few of the highlights of the heart of Indochina – Cambodia and Vietnam.
Heir to the ancient Khmer Empire, modern-day Cambodia has incredible architecture, from extravagant and ancient temple complexes to its capital’s elegant post office and Royal Palace. In Cambodia you can sample the country’s wild side by trekking through jungles, getting up close and personal with wildlife and much more.
In Vietnam, there’s something for everyone – whether you want to soak up some sun on a beautiful beach, experience the pulse of a cosmopolitan city in Ho Chi Minh, or head to the country’s less-westernised northern reaches to connect with locals and get an authentic slice of Vietnamese culture.
Whatever you’re looking for, these first-class destinations are sure to make your holiday one to remember.
Weather in Vietnam can vary by region. In Hanoi and northern Vietnam, hot and humid weather is experienced between May and October, with high rainfall throughout, while November to April is cooler and dry. Central and southern Vietnam experience hot, dry weather between January and August, while the majority of rainfall occurs in June, July and August.
Most travellers visit Cambodia between November and March as this is when their season is cooler and drier, with December to April having the most sunshine. Although Cambodia can generally be viewed as a year-round destination, heavy rains take place throughout September and October and can cause travel disruption.
Northern Vietnam: November to April
Central and southern Vietnam: January to August
Cambodia: November to March
- Beautiful French colonial architecture, such as the Central Post Office and Notre Dame Cathedral in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Angkor Wat temple – Cambodia’s ornate national symbol and top attraction
- The soft white sands and shimmering azure waters of Vietnamese beach resort Phu Quoc
- Southeast Asia’s largest freshwater lake, Tonle Sap, just south of Siem Reap, Cambodia
- See the Cambodian Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda along Phnom Penh’s Sothearos Boulevard
- Take a street food tour in Hanoi and experience the Vietnamese capital come alive at night
- Take a full-day tour to Ha Long Bay, Vietnam and both cruise and kayak around thousands of towering limestone islands
- Experience coastal beauty, misty jungles, snorkelling, dolphin watching and safari opportunities in Cambodia’s Ream National Park
- Go underground in Vietnam and make your way through the Chu Chi tunnels, which were used as hideouts, living quarters and supply routes by the Viet Cong during the Vietnam War
- Traverse the vast maze of rivers, swamps and islands of Vietnam’s Mekong Delta on a guided boat tour