The Algarve - home to sun, sea and so much more
10 July 2019
The Algarve has long been a firm favourite on the European holiday scene, and with its glorious beaches, shimmering turquoise seas, beautiful scenery, delicious food and plentiful sunshine, that’s no surprise.
As one of the world's premier golfing regions, the Algarve is home to a plethora of championship courses. However, it’s not just golf enthusiasts that the region attracts, The Campus and the Anabelle Croft Tennis Academy offer professional-level tennis training to people of all skill levels. If you want to get out and see more of the Beautiful region then pull on your walking boots and hit one of the many walking trails, hire a bicycle and explore the undiscovered side of the Algarve, or take to the sea on a sailing trip and explore the breathtaking coastline or set off on a scuba diving trip.
“Whether you want beaches, sea, culture, golf, nature, gastronomy and wines, wellness or water parks, or would like to experience activities like dolphin watching, fishing, jeep safaris, hiking, diving, surfing and paddle boarding, the Algarve has it all.”
Joanne, Travel Counsellor
Places to visit
- Silves: Once the capital of the ancient Arab kingdom of Algarve. Head up to the medieval Moorish castle for incredible views over the city and its surroundings.
- Albufeira: Lively and carefree, Albufeira has beautiful beaches and plenty of entertainment day and night. The modern marina with its excellent bars and traditional restaurants is a must for any visitor.
- Tavira: This charming town on the river Gilão displays Arabic and Roman influences throughout its lovely architecture. Head to the anchor graveyard on Borril Beach, a poignant monument where hundreds of anchors - once used for tuna fishing - stand embedded in the sand.
- Faro: The capital of the region, this delightful historic city has plenty to see and do. Climb to the Cape Santa Maria lighthouse and admire stunning sea views, or spend a day on the beaches of nearby Barreta Island, one of the region’s most relaxing beach spots.
“We knew we wanted to stay in Albufeira Old Town as it's one of our favourite areas and we love the restaurants in the Old Town Square.”
Andrea, Travel Counsellor
Where to stay
With so much choice of accommodation, we’ve helped you out by selecting a few of our favourites.
- Pine Cliffs Hotel: For a wellness-focused break, you’d struggle to do better than Pine Cliffs, with its award-winning Serenity Spa. The spa managed to set itself apart from the competition with its experience showers, sauna with Himalayan Rock Salt, ice fountain, indoor hydro pool, steam bath, herbal sauna, outdoor Jacuzzi and Hammam Turkish bath. If you’re looking to work on your swing, you’ll be equally wowed as Hotel secured Best Golf Hotel at the 2017 World Travel Awards.
- Anantara Vilamoura Algarve: Hidden away in scenic rural Algarve, this peaceful and prestigious five-star sanctuary offers authentic luxury. The 280-room hotel is a showcase for Portuguese talent with local art works dotted throughout the property, immersing you in your enviable destination. All rooms feature balconies looking out onto the gardens, golf course or one of the four pools, whilst suites boast personal butler service and lavish Jacuzzis in some cases.
- Vila Vita Parc: The elegant Vila Vita Parc Resort is renowned for two Michelin-starred dining with ocean views that will take your breath away. Head chef Hans Neuner takes the finest ingredients to create exquisite dishes that pay homage to Portuguese traditions. Tasting menus feature classics such as cataplana alongside exciting seafood creations including squid, sea urchin and crab.
- Cascade Wellness & Lifestyle Resort: Situated on a cliff top within walking distance of the beautiful Dona Ana beach and stunning Ponta de Piedade lighthouse, the luxurious five-star Cascade Wellness & Lifestyle Resort offers an elegant and sophisticated break, with the chance to relax and unwind, and explore the picturesque city of Lagos. The resort is popular with couples and families, even sports teams keen to improve their performance in a luxury setting.
Find out more about this amazing region in our Algarve Destination Guide
If you’re ready to enjoy a break in the Algarve, contact your Travel Counsellor today and enjoy exclusive access to benefits such as full financial protection and a 24-hour duty office ready to assist you before, during and after your stay.